Sunday, December 9, 2012

ART 211 - Final


Our final video piece was dedicated to the idea of "The Deconstruction of Video".

I took some time to really think about what this meant to me, and how I'd interpret it into a video. I'll admit it took quite a while to think of something, but once I did, it hit me and everything that came after that was precise and interesting.

I thought about how I would always livestream while I would work on my commissions, so that my commissioners could see how I was doing and correct me to ensure satisfaction. However, whenever I would go to chat with them while Livestreaming, I had to go onto my LS page to do so. Doing this created a virtual "Inception", with my Livestream projecting the Livestream projecting the Livestream, and so on.

It made me think.

I thought about how most art and videos and performances you find now-a-days are copies, parodies, or heavily-inspired by other pieces. And, sometimes, even those pieces aren't the true, original source of inspiration. I've realized that it's really become quite difficult to find a piece of video art that is truly one-of-a-kind, a unique fresh taste.

From there, I decided I would try and watch a few music videos, and use Livestream while doing so. This would create a never-ending stream of overlaying video footage, with the video repeating itself again and again with each dive further into the Livestream.
What I ended up also discovering while experimenting with this is that the music also overlaps, and while I originally thought it might create a "dub step-ish" type of sound, it instead produced a screeching and scratching that sounded more like a Banshee. I even had to soften and muffle parts of the video because it practically made my ears bleed. There were a few parts where I realized that the sounds my laptop made when I'd change the volume made an interesting beat, and I abused this, i.e. with the beginning.

I advise that you turn down the volume a bit before watching.




Enjoy~


No comments:

Post a Comment