Sunday, September 9, 2012

Birth and Life of Opera

(accidentally posted this on my other, testing blog, haha. time to repost.)


I must say that when I heard we were going to be studying and looking into Opera, my first thoughts were "Oh, exciting!" and then I did a double take and it turned into "Oh... opera..."

But then we actually started looking at different operas, and I realized that there's actually a true, unbelievable art form at work that requires all this dedication and creativity and talent! After watching The Birth and Life of Opera, I find it hard to comprehend how much actually goes into each and every opera there was - and there's a lot of them! I always found it hard enough to think of intriguing characters and plot lines for my personal creative writings, so I have a much better appreciation for opera, which goes a million and one steps further than that by creating a tangible, visible, and audible new world!

And not only did it come to master so many different talents, but it did so progressively as to not lose its tie with the people it used to create these wonders. There were so many leaps and changes that were aided in being brought about by the shifts in storylines, plots, and characters used for operas. Seeing and hearing about them now, I'm sure that I couldn't appreciate it nearly as much as I could've if I had been there when all the hype was actually happening. It's hard to imagine being there alongside 10,000 other people, all lined up and eager to listen and see the exciting drama and love unfold onstage.

Personally, I think it's an understatement to say that opera was and still is an important influence on the world and its arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment